Magnesium is a wonder mineral that's present in every single one of your trillions of cells. It's responsible for everything from energy production to blood sugar regulation to regulating your heart beat.
But can it also help you lose weight?
Research suggests that adequate magnesium intake, paired with a healthy diet and regular exercise can help you shed weight quickly.
Here are 3 reasons why magnesium is so effective when it comes to weight loss.
1) Magnesium Reduces Belly Fat
Magnesium helps control insulin and glucose levels resulting in more stable blood sugar. This is an important part of weight loss because once you have blood sugar problems, it's much harder to lose weight. That may be why the majority of people with type 2 diabetes—about 80 percent—are overweight or obese. Furthermore, high insulin levels are strongly related to higher levels of fat around the midsection.
So, getting enough magnesium can lower insulin levels to keep your midsection nice and trim!
2) Magnesium Improves Your Workouts
Inflammation is the underlying cause of countless diseases and can cause problems like chronic pain and obesity. A low intake of magnesium has been linked to chronic inflammation. One study that included 100 participants found that supplementing with magnesium significantly lowered inflammatory markers in subjects compared to a placebo group.
Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, magnesium is also used as a potent pain reliever for aching muscles and joints, especially after exercise. This makes magnesium incredible for shortening post-workout recovery time making it easier to get back into shape.
3) Magnesium Boosts Your Mood
Another incredible role of Magnesium is its ability to cancel the effects of stress. Stress sets off the release of a hormone called cortisol, which studies show can really slow down your metabolism, making it very difficult to lose weight. However, Magnesium counteracts this process by regulating neurotransmitters which connect the nervous system and the brain, helping to encourage a sense of calm in the body.
The Bottom Line:
You guessed it: taking magnesium alone will not be effective for weight loss. But when paired with a colorful diet, regular exercise, and an appropriate number of daily calories, magnesium has been found to help make your weight loss journey much more successful.
- Increase magnesium in your diet by adding lots of green leafy vegetables, pumpkin seeds and beans to your meals.
- Consider adding a magnesium supplement to your daily routine (please consult with your health practitioner before beginning a new supplement regimen).
- Start getting magnesium on your skin. A growing amount of research studies are showing the superior effectiveness and absorption of transdermal magnesium – magnesium used on the skin. Creams, like those from Rooted In, are a wonderful way to increase your magnesium intake quickly and effectively.