Understanding Magnesium Tests: Why Symptoms Matter More than Serum Levels

Understanding Magnesium Tests: Why Symptoms Matter More than Serum Levels

Magnesium serum tests are often inaccurate for assessing deficiency, as only a small portion is found in the blood. Tracking symptoms is a more reliable indicator. Common signs include muscle issues, fatigue, and mood swings. In addition to dietary changes, supplementation, and stress reduction, consider using a reputable magnesium cream.

Magnesium is a vital mineral that plays a crucial role in various bodily functions, including muscle function, nerve function, and energy production. While it's essential to maintain adequate magnesium levels, relying solely on magnesium serum tests may not provide an accurate representation of your true magnesium status.

In fact, these tests can be deceiving, as only a small fraction of your body's magnesium is found in the bloodstream. In this blog post, we'll explore why magnesium serum tests can be misleading and why paying attention to your symptoms is a more reliable indicator of potential deficiency.

The Inaccuracy of Magnesium Serum Tests

Magnesium serum tests, which measure the amount of magnesium present in the blood, have their limitations. Only about 1% of your body's magnesium is actually stored in the bloodstream. The remaining 99% is distributed in your bones, muscles, and organs, where it plays critical roles in maintaining overall health and wellbeing.

This distribution pattern poses a significant challenge when it comes to accurately assessing magnesium levels through blood tests. By the time a deficiency shows up in your blood work, it's possible that you've been experiencing a low-grade, chronic deficiency for years.

The Importance of Tracking Symptoms

Given the limitations of serum tests, it becomes clear that monitoring your body's signals and symptoms is a more reliable way to identify potential magnesium deficiency. While the symptoms of magnesium deficiency can be subtle and easily overlooked, paying attention to your body can provide valuable insights.

Common symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include:

  1. Muscle cramps and twitches
  2. Fatigue and weakness
  3. Irregular heartbeat
  4. High blood pressure
  5. Migraines or frequent headaches
  6. Insomnia or restless sleep
  7. Numbness and tingling
  8. Mood swings or anxiety

By staying attuned to these signs, you can proactively address potential magnesium deficiencies before they become more severe.


How to Address Potential Magnesium Deficiency

If you suspect you may have a magnesium deficiency based on your symptoms, it's important to take action. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Dietary Changes: Increase your intake of magnesium-rich foods such as leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
  2. Magnesium Cream Application: Incorporate a high-quality magnesium cream into your routine. Topical application of magnesium can be an effective way to replenish magnesium levels, as the mineral can be absorbed through the skin. Ensure you choose a reputable product and follow the recommended usage guidelines.
  3. Supplementation: Consider taking a high-quality magnesium supplement after consulting with a healthcare professional.
  4. Lifestyle Modifications: Reduce stress levels through practices like meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises, as stress can deplete magnesium levels.
  5. Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you're experiencing persistent symptoms, consult a healthcare provider who can conduct a thorough evaluation and recommend appropriate measures.


While magnesium serum tests have their place in assessing magnesium levels, they are not infallible. Understanding the limitations of these tests empowers you to take a more proactive approach to your health. By paying close attention to your body's signals and symptoms, you can catch potential magnesium deficiencies early and take steps to restore balance and vitality to your life. Remember, your body often knows best - listen to it!




See all articles in BLOG POSTS


Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.